Friday, February 5, 2010

Sea Bathing in the Early 19th Century

From the 18th Century on, bathing resorts multiplied, especially along England’s southern coast. They included Brighton, Ramsgate, and Eastbourne, all mentioned in Austen’s works. In addition to enjoying the “bracing sea air,” people could bathe in the always chilly waters* of the Channel by using a bathing machine (pictured at left). In order to assure a woman’s privacy, there were designated areas for members of each sex. After the bather entered the bathing machine, he/she would change out of their street clothing and into their bathing costumes, and then the machine would be rolled into the water. Some resorts hired “dippers,” who were strong and hardy souls who would help the bather into the sea and might possibly push a person into the water to enhance the bathing experience.

*According to Tony, who has gone sea bathing in the Channel, the air temp can get quite warm--as high as 86 degrees F. (See comment.) Having lived in Arizona for 14 years, I don't go swimming unless the water temperature is above 80 degrees F. I am such a wuss.

4 comments:

  1. Mary, great post. I must tell you a funny story about Queen Victoria and a bathing machine one day.

    If you ever visit Osbourne House on the Isle of Wight , Queen Victoria's summer holiday home, you can see her bathing machine within the grounds, still in pristine condition.

    However, I must disagree about your comment, "the always chilly English Channel waters." Coming from Southampton, and often visiting Brighton, Bournemouth and various seaside resorts along the south coast, throughout my childhood and as a parent taking my own children on holiday, the waters of the English Channel can be warm and the odd heat wave, 30 degrees plus, has been known. We usually get a few days a year when the temperatures get that high.

    All the best,
    Tony

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that the southern coast of the Channel gets the Gulf Stream, but "chilliness" is relative. Although I grew up in NJ, I never went swimming in the ocean until August. I am a 10 on the wuss meter. However, I will yield to your superior knowledge and amend my post. Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, thankyou for your kind comment.

    I don't want to give a false impression of the weather on the south coast of England. Heat waves do come, far and few between, but in recent years, maybe to do with climate change, who knows, we are getting more regular heat waves. They only last a week at most and usually happen in July.

    The summer weather in Engalnd is an, "exciting," mixture of overcast cloud, showers and sunny intervals. Often all in one day. The question is always , do we need an umbrella and waterproofs, or sun glasses and a sun hat and perhaps a warm coat thrown in? No wonder the weather is such a topic of converastion amongst us lot.

    All the best,
    Tony

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry Mary I can't work out how to post a photograph here.

    I've got a good one of Queen Victoria's bathing machine for you.

    I'll post it on my BLOG for you.

    ReplyDelete