Monday, November 8, 2010

Dancing with Jane Austen

While compiling a list of songs for my sister's birthday, I found myself thinking of how each song applied to one of Jane Austen's novels or their adaptations, so I thought I would share them with you. Keep in mind my sister was listening to these songs in the fifties and sixties.*

Why Must I Be a Teenager in Love? by Dion and the Belmonts – Catherine Morland falling in love with Henry Tilney

Beyond the Sea by Bobby Darin – Persuasion

The Tracks of My Tears by Smokey Robinson and the Miracles – Elizabeth Bennet thinking she had lost Mr. Darcy because of the Lydia/Wickham fiasco

Breaking Up Is Hard To Do by Neil Sedaka – Willoughby dumping Marianne

Runaway by Del Shannon – Lydia and Wickham

The Wanderer by Dion and the Belmonts – Henry Crawford

This Magic Moment by the Drifters – Captain Wentworth and Anne Elliot’s first kiss

Save the Last Dance for Me by the Drifters – Mr. Knightley asking Emma to dance

Who’s Sorry Now by Connie Francis – Maria Bertram after she ran off with Henry Crawford

Puppy Love by Paul Anka – Fanny’s crush on Edmund Bertram

Little Town Flirt by Del Shannon - Amanda Thorne

Smoke Gets in Your Eyes by the Platters – Mr. Darcy emerging out of the fog on his way to see Elizabeth in the 2005 P&P film adaptation

Or what about Johnny Rivers:

Slow dancing, swaying to the music
Slow dancing, just me and my girl
Slow dancing, swaying to the music
No one else in the whole wide world
Just you, girl

Picture the couples: Lizzy and Darcy, Elinor and Edward, Anne and Frederick, Catherine and Henry, George and Emma, Fanny and Edmund, and the list goes on with Jane and Charles, Harriet and Robert, Louisa and Benwick, etc.

This project took several hours, and I must say that it was made all the more enjoyable because I wasn’t alone at the computer. Jane Austen was grooving right beside me.

*Parts of this post previously appeared on Austen Authors.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Mary. memories.

    The number of times I have sailed across The Channel from Dover to Calais on the way to Paris and heard the original French version of the Bobby Darren song, "Beyond the Sea,"played.

    Bobby darren's song should really was La Mer by Charles Trenet.

    Go over to London calling and I will post it for you Mary.

    ReplyDelete