Tuesday, July 23, 2013

A Death in Hampden - Changing Hats from Austen to Mysteries

Most of you know me as a writer of Jane Austen re-imaginings, but I also write mysteries. I have just released the third book in the Patrick Shea mystery series which is a British police procedural set in London. Why British? Why London? 

The London part of the answer is easy. London is one of the great cities of the world. Having visited London on three occasions, I fell in love with the idea of my copper walking past the British Museum, St. Paul's, the Tower of London, etc. Although they are not central to the theme of my three mysteries, they serve as a background.

Why British? When I write, I have to learn something. Researching the history of old and modern London and Britain is a huge draw for me. There is the added attraction of learning a whole new vocabulary. In America, we have police investigations (sounds sinister). In England, they have inquiries (sounds so polite). In the States, we read people their Miranda rights. In England, they are cautioned. It's the same thing, but doesn't it sound like it is done with a gentler hand?

So what about Jane Austen? I have not abandoned her. In the spring, I released a Pride and Prejudice re-imagining, When They Fall in Love, with a setting of Florence. I am also tinkering with a modern novel where Mr. Darcy comes to 21st century America seeking advice after his failed marriage proposal to Elizabeth. But my next book will be the fourth Patrick Shea mystery where Patrick investigates a murder at a Jane Austen conference. I'm really looking forward to combining the two subjects.

I have a favor/favour to ask. If you know someone who enjoys mystery, would you please tell them about A Death in Hampden or mention it on Facebook or send a tweet.  Here is the Amazon link to the Kindle e-book. A paperback will be out in about two weeks.

Thank you.

5 comments:

  1. And of course, Mary, London just happens to be the greatest city on earth!!!

    I nearly said, place, but there are some incredibly beautiful places in other parts of Britain!!!!

    OK I'd love to see and experience the Arizona desert. That must be an unbelievable spiritual experience too.

    All the best,
    Tony

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Jane Austen, imagining.
    I'm thinking about that word, imagining, from a purely English point of view.

    From this side of the Atlantic,I'm not quite sure about it, Mary. We wouldn't use it.
    Well, we wouldn't even try to re-imagine for a start. But you know how I feel.
    Good luck with Patrick.
    Tony

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tony, The Americans greatly outnumber the British Austenesque writers, but they do exist. Three of them are on the Austen Authors blog.

      Hope all is well.

      Delete
  3. Congrats on releasing book #3 in your Pattrick Shea mysteries, Mary! :)
    Ooh, book four sounds wonderful! I'll be looking forward to seeing how you combine the two. :) I already have a feeling it's going to be good! :)
    I hope the heat isn't making your thoughts too frazzled. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mary! Congratulations on the release of A Death in Hampden! Love the cover! I'm going to have to add it to my TBR list! The 4th one really interests me too! I love that it happens at a Jane Austen conference! Haha! Perfect!

    ReplyDelete