Monday, January 14, 2013

Loving Austen by Sophia Thorsen


I would like to welcome Sophia Thorsen to my blog. Sophia is an ardent admirer of Jane Austen's works. You can learn more about this budding authoress at the end of her guest blog. 

Firstly I want to thank Mary Simonsen for allowing me to write this little blog entrée. Thank you, Mary! And brilliant work on all your works!

As you all know, 2013 is the 200th year of the publication of Miss Austen’s second book, namely, Pride and PrejudiceThis year has already started off with the promised publication of Shannon Winslow’s second book, the sequel to The Darcys of Pemberley called Return to Longbourn and the next book from Abigail Reynolds. Meantime in the musical world, it is also the 200th year of Strauss and Wagner. Therefore, there is much to look forward to during the year, and then there is the annual Jane Austen Festival in September which I am personally attending. 

My year has started with writing my very first serious book, co-authored by my friend Laura Hannah Russell. My year also presents me with the beginning of half a year stay at a writing school, where I am to learn how to put a book together, with text, cover, and how to make it a real book. And now I am to write a blog for two of my favorite authoresses, this blog and the one for Mrs. Tiller Cole during the next few weeks, hopefully.

Pride and Prejudice is my favorite of all Miss Austen’s completed works. My love of Austen started funnily enough with another brilliant woman author, namely Victoria Holt, author of Daughter of Deceit and many other brilliant books. Victoria Holt’s books was the first step on my journey towards being a romantic at heart, as well as a lover of Austen’s works, and a young woman with a thing for Fitzwilliam Darcy and almost anything Pride and Prejudice.

Ever since I saw Keira and Matthew in the 2005 version of Pride and Prejudice, I have been a true Austen lover. My favorite characters from Miss Austen are definitely the two lead characters of Darcy and Elizabeth. The first time I read P&P in 8th grade, I didn’t understand the underlying meaning in the conversation that Miss Austen used since English isn’t my native tongue, but as I got older and understood the wit and feelings of the characters, I began loving Austen’s works and read all her completed works.

In 2007/2008 I joined as a member on fanfiction.net, where I began reading “what if” fiction of Pride and Prejudice, Harry Potter, and many more. Here I had my first encounter with Mr. Darcy personally, where he began talking to me and gave me ideas, a lot of them! So I began writing and have done it ever since. This autumn I was asked to join a group on Facebook called “Austen Authors” and here I meet Mary Simonsen, herself, for the second time, since I wrote her a review on her book, Searching for Pemberley, which is a brilliant book! Meanwhile I have begun to know a lot of other authors, namely Abigail Reynolds, Jack Caldwell, P. O. Dixon, Sharon Lathan and many more. I just want to thank all of those amazing authors who write all these different sequels to Pride and Prejudice, and thank them for a great year!

Thank you again for hosting me, Mary! 

About Sophia: Sophia is a native of Denmark and will graduate from college in July 2013. She is currently a student at the School of Creative Arts (Journalism, Author Writing, Game Academy, Event, DIY, etc.). She is the author of several short stories on fanfiction.net, including “The Masque” (P&P), “A Little Lizzie and Darcy” (P&P), “The Love of a Young Princess” (Romeo and Juliet), and the newly written; “Harry and the Three Ghosts” (Harry Potter, a H/HR story).


She is writing a book with her good friend, Laura Hannah Russell, that they have called “Power and Love,” a Pride and Prejudice sequel. It is set in 1955, and William J. Darcy has just been elected to Prime Minister in the United Kingdom.

Sophia loves to write and read and to spend time with her friends. She is hoping to get into Copenhagen’s Writing School after Vallekilde (School of Creative Arts). 

37 comments:

  1. Hi Sophia!
    I am excited to see we have something else in common than just a love of Austen! The first romance novel I ever read (when I was 10! - eek!) was 'The Pride of the Peacock' by Victoria Holt.
    That was the novel that led me to 'Pride and Prejudice,' since they both had "pride" in their titles, and they both had peacocks on their covers!
    Best of luck with your novel!
    Colette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Colette.
      Wonderful to know I am not the only one who started out with Victoria Holt and her books as a romantic ideal! My first Victoria Holt book was the one with "The Ashington Sapphires" (can't remember if the book was called that or not) and I was about 12 when I read it!
      Thanks for leaving a comment! Look forward to talk more with you in the future!

      Delete
  2. Congrats to you, Sophia! Best of luck with your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm excited to hear that you're writing a sequel, Sophia! I'll look forward to reading it some day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Abigail.

      Thanks for the words, I hope for your help with the sequel once it is finished, just for reading through it and getting your opinion!

      Thanks for leaving your kind comment!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on your writing Sophia! I am so excited to hear of all that your are doing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. *waving to Mary*

    Sophia, like you and Colette, I *loved* reading Victoria Holt!! Her books definitely inspired the romantic in me, too ;). Wishing you the best on all of your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! Good luck in your writing, Sophia! Trust me when I say that you never know where a fun "hobby" will take you. LOL! You have been a wonderful supporter for all in the JAFF community, and especially on Austen Authors. Thanks for all that you do to help us continue to write the stories we love. Hopefully someday we can count you among us as a fully-fledged novelist :-)

    Best of luck, Sharon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sharon.

      I hope to be counted among you before long as a novelist myself. My hobby has been long one until now, and now I hope to make my dream come true! Thanks for the kind words, I hope you and all of the authors on Austen Authors will help out with ideers and such in the future.
      All the best to you and your books, Sharon! I am especially looking forward to getting "Dr. Darcy's passion"!

      Thanks a lot, Sophia

      Delete
  7. Love this post. I am the Laura Hannah Russell that she is writing with and I can't wait to finish this book with you. You are a amazing friend and person. I can't wait to see you again in September at the Jane Austen Festival.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Laura!

      Can't wait for september, my friend! We are going to have so much fun! And I can't wait to writing some more soon!

      Talk soon!

      Delete
  8. Great interview! I am impressed, Sophia! You have done so very many things already in your young life. I am a big fan of both Ms. Austen and Ms. Holt myself. ;)

    Good luck with all your endeavors this year and in the future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alyssa,

      Nice hearing from you! Wonderful to hear that I wasn't the only one who started out with falling in love with Ms. Holt and her books!

      Thanks for the kind comment, and all the best in the future to you!

      Delete
  9. I'm very glad to hear you are writing. Be careful--it can be addictive! I, too, look forward to your novel. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack,
      Again thanks for the signed book mark! And the writing it is addictive and very much so!
      Thanks I am hoping you will like the book once it is finished!

      Thanks for the kind comment

      Delete
  10. Hi Sophia! It's been delightful to make contact with you on Austen Authors, and it was fun to learn more of your story here. I feel honored that you named the anticipated debut of my next book as a highlight in your life! It's actually my third, though. So while you're waiting for "Return to Longbourn," you could check out "For Myself Alone" if you'd like. It's a "Jane Austen inspired" story, and one close to my heart. Best wishes on your writing aspirations. I hope they all come true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shannon,
      I am glad to know you enjoyed the blog! Of course your book is a highlight, it is a book... do I need to say more? I think I will check out your "For Myself Alone" soon!
      It was a pleasure to talk to you, Shannon!

      Again good luck with the next book!

      Delete
  11. Great post! I wish you all the best in your writing endeavors, Sophia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind comment, P. O. Dixon! All the best for your new book!

      Delete
  12. Hi Sophia! So nice to meet you. I look forward to reading your book! I'm a huge Austen Fan myself, and my favorites are Elizabeth and Darcy, too! :) Best wishes to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Candy!
      So nice to meet you, thank you for your kind comment! You are not the only one who adores the Lizzie/Darcy relationship!

      Best wishes to you!

      Delete
  13. Sophia, I'm thrilled to hear that you write, too. Like Jack mentioned, it's definitely addictive, but as a journalism major, I guess you already know that. ;) I've truly enjoyed "meeting you" at Austen Authors, and here on Mary's blog as well. Your book sounds like something I'd love to read, and I'm looking forward to it. Wishing you the best of luck, both with your novel and your graduation this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadriani,
      Thanks for your kind comment, and yet again yes I know writing is addictive! It is very nice knowing you both here and on Austen Authors! I will make sure you know when the book is done!

      Thanks, again for your comment!

      Delete
  14. A recent historical version of Fitzwilliam Darcy? You are definitely on the right blog - Mary is the best!

    Great to meet you - looking forward to hearing more from you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie!
      Thanks, and I know Mary is the best! And yes a recent historial version of Fitzwilliam Darcy called William in my version!

      I'll contact you!

      Delete
  15. Sophia, It's so nice to see so many people reading your post. Nice way to start a writing career.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary,

      I agree and thanks again for letting me write on your blog!

      Thanks again,
      Sophia

      Delete
  16. Sophia has indeed written a lovely blog post for Darcyholic Diversions. I have been dealing with a dying father in law, and then funeral arrangements, services and then inheritance issues and have been WAY too far away from my ‘home’ in the world of Austen so I have not gotten her post up yet. But I am HONORED by your words here Sophia, excited about your upcoming write in, and will be getting your post up no later than next week!

    So enjoyed your preview of the coming year of Austen and look forward to seeing what YOU have to write for us soon!

    Barbara Tiller Cole
    darcyholicdiversions.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara,
      How are you? How are you and your family dealing? I am looking forward to getting my blog up on darcyholic diversions! I hope you soon can get back to your world of Jane Austen and maybe put down the feelings in our friends of characters!
      I am HONORED to writing a blog for you and I will be very exciting about getting the blog up with you, since you and Mary are the best in the world of Austen with blogs!
      I am writing a book called "Power and Love" a recent historical romance between Darcy and Elizabeth while Darcy holds the highest position in Britain.

      Talk soon, all the best
      Sophia

      Delete
  17. Hi, Sophia! Thanks for all your support for Austen Authors on the blog and Facebook. Best wishes with writing your own book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan,

      It is I who need to thank you and all the authors on Austen Authors for your support!

      All the best for future writing

      Delete
  18. Sophia: I'm glad to "meet" you here and thank you for your support of Austen Authors! Best of luck with your writing! BTW I am only a Dane by marriage, but hope to get to Denmark someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Callynpierson,

      I am glad to know you! Thanks for your support here for my blog, if you want more info then I am up as a guest author on Darcyholic Diversions next week!
      Please let me know if you get to DK someday, it is always a pleasure to know there is half-Danes and Danes by marriage who are enjoyed Darcy and Elizabeth as much as I do!

      All the best in the future

      Delete
  19. Hi Sophia! :) Great interview! I wish you lots of success on your first novel. :) It sounds interesting! I look forward to hearing more about this novel and your journey. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi, Jakki.
    Thanks a lot for your kind comment for my guest blog, if you want to read more, i suggest looking for Darcyholic Diversions next week, where I will be up as guest authoress as well! I hope you will look up my novel once it is finished. Again my thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sophia, I know I am late to the party, but I do have a legitimate excuse. I have been doing the final edits for "The Mysterious Death of Mr. Darcy."
    We authors appreciate fans such as you. You bring a whole new level of Austen love to the table.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good Article in pleasant atmosphere.Keep writing same as subject.
    Kızlık zarı
    Genital estetik

    ReplyDelete