Wednesday, April 27, 2011

What I'm Doing and Why I'm Doing It - Part II

Three weeks ago, I self-published my novella, For All the Wrong Reasons. I had no idea how it would be received. Now I know. The reception has been terrific. I have sold more than 400 copies which pleases me to no end, and I thank everyone who bought the book. I priced the novella at $2.99. That price is the lowest I can go and still get a 70% royalty from Amazon. Below that price, the royalty drops down to 35%. Since Amazon didn't write the story, I thought that giving them a 70% profit was a bit much.

Elinor and Edward's Plans for Lucy SteeleToday, I self-published my first short story, Elinor and Edward's Plans for Lucy Steele. This story is a parody of the love story between Elinor Dashwood and Edward Ferrars in Austen's Sense and Sensibility. I really don't expect to sell a lot of copies because it is not Pride and Prejudice, but I do enjoy writing parodies (e.g., Anne Elliot, A New Beginning). With Elinor leading the way, the couple pulls strings behind Lucy Steele's back in order to get her to break off her engagement to Edward. But the course of love never did run smooth (especially in a parody). Since it is a short story, I am charging only $1.49, and Amazon will get the bulk of that because I am below their price threshold. But I wanted the story to be affordable, and it is a short story.

Although For All the Wrong Reasons is available in paperback, I make only .51 on each sale. But I wanted to make sure that this novella was available to those people who do not have e-readers. Unfortunately, there is no way I can do that with a short story because of Amazon Createspace's price structure.

This is probably more than you wanted to know about self-publishing novellas and short stories, but since this is new territory for everyone, I wanted to explain the reasoning behind my pricing decisions.

Coming soon: Mr. Darcy's Angel of Mercy, a love story set in the years following World War I, which will be available before Mother's Day.

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your self-publishing success! Yay, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you plan on putting all of your short stories together & publishing them that way at any point? (hint hint *cough*) I love to read the forewords to short stories - they give a lot of insight to what inspires the train of thought. Or, people can do what I normally do, and just annoy my favorite authors online until they answer me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Mary.

    All the best,
    Tony

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jennifer, Irena and Tony. Angie, I am going to do an anthology that is called "Mr. Darcy Smiles or Laughs" for my humorous short stories. But right now I'm working on getting my novella, Mr. Darcy's Angel of Mercy in good shape. Thanks for your "pestering." It's the best kind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats, Mary on the self-publishing and selling 400 copies of For All the Wrong Reasons! It sounds wonderful. I just have to decide whether to buy the Kindle version or paperback. Ah, decisions, decisions! I look forward to reading Mr. Darcy's Angel of Mercy as well!
    Thanks for writing and Publishing such wonderful books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jakki, Thanks so much for your support and for letting me know you enjoy my books. It really does mean a lot. :)

    ReplyDelete