Friday, April 8, 2011

What I Am Doing and Why I Am Doing It

For All The Wrong Reasons
The book industry is changing rapidly. Although I love roaming the aisles of brick and mortar stores, more and more people are opting to get their books on line. With the rise of e-readers, such as Nook and Kindle, sales of e-books have skyrocketed. I have decided to go with the flow. But first, a little history.

Before Sourcebooks published Searching for Pemberley and The Perfect Bride for Mr. Darcy, I was self-published. Even after I signed with Sourcebooks, I self-published two novels: Anne Elliot, A New Beginning, and The Second Date, Love Italian-American Style, because Sourcebooks declined to publish them, and I understand their reasons. There is a much smaller market for an Austen re-imagining that isn’t Pride and Prejudice. As for The Second Date, I was told that since it was neither modern nor historical (it was set in the late 1980s), it was a hard sell.

But while my novels were being published, I was also busy writing novellas. I find this length of story particularly attractive to my style of writing. I’m not real big on descriptions. For example, you will never read a detailed description of Caroline Bingley’s clothes or Lady Catherine’s parlor in my novels. Without a lot of description, the page count goes down, and a novel becomes a novella.

Since Sourcebooks has declined to publish my two latest novel-length submissions, I have decided that I will be self-publishing all my future work. And I have already begun. My novella, For All the Wrong Reasons, is currently available in e-book form on Barnes and Noble and Amazon for $2.99. Why $2.99? Because if I sold it for less (as I wanted to do), Amazon takes a 70% cut instead of 35%. That is unacceptable. So I must meet their price threshold. I will also publish my novellas in paperback for approximately $6.29. Again, this price is dictated by a minimum price based on page count by Createspace, Amazon’s in-house print-on-demand provider. But I don’t expect to sell many of my novellas in paperback. My target audience is the e-reader.

I still have two books coming out with Sourcebooks: A Wife for Mr. Darcy (release date July 1, 2011) and Mr. Darcy’s Bite (release date October 2011). I have learned so much from Sourcebooks, and I will be forever grateful to my editor, Deb Werksman, for finding my self-published novel on Amazon and getting the ball rolling. But as Sourcebooks adjusts to the changing book market, so must I. The future is the e-reader, and I look forward to sharing my stories with you on your Nook or Kindle.

P.S. It takes a lot longer for a paperback to go up on Amazon, but a paperback version of For All the Wrong Reasons is making its way through the Amazon jungle and should be up shortly.

P.P.S. I have lowered the prices on most of my self-published stories, both electronic and paperback.

10 comments:

  1. Good for you Mary! Those prices are perfectly reasonble, and I'm sure lots of readers will appreciate that! Best of luck! I look forward to checking out For All The Wrong Reasons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always happy to read your work, Mary--whether on your blog, on my kindle, or between the covers of a book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Tony.

    Thanks, Meredith. I'll be e-mailing you when my novel-length books come out. :)

    Mary Ellen, What a lovely thing to say. Thanks for your support.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! I'm so happy for you and wish you all the best with For All the Wrong Reasons!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Mary! I think ebook is the future.

    Bargain with the Devil

    ReplyDelete
  6. E-books are great for your impatient fans (okay, me) who don't want to wait so long for their next fix. One question I have for you - how will this handle with book signings? I can't afford to go to Ft. Worth this year, but with friends who live in NYC, that would be doable. Do you think less & less people will come out to conventions because they have nothing to 'sign?'

    ReplyDelete
  7. I shall look out for all your works - I'm very happy to know they will all be available as e-books. Having run out of shelf space my kindle has become my electronic shelf now!!
    PS Your prices are very good :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks ladies and gent. I just went live with Createspace, but I had to charge $6.99 to make .17. No one is going to pay that for a novel that is 126 pages long. But then it's really meant to be read on an e-reader.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Mary! So much news in one short blog. I don't currently have an e-reader so I'm in the minority tho' I know its probably inevitable. A wife for Mr. Darcy sounds great...looking forward to it. I think I previously linked it with The Perfect Bride for Mr. Darcy - tho' obviously different.

    ReplyDelete