Wednesday, February 2, 2011

This and That and a Lot of It

While I have been driving around the country on my blog tour, believe it or not, "stuff" has been going on elsewhere in the world. Here are a few of them:

Julia Saulsbury has started a Facebook page called "A Truth Universally Acknowledged." Julia roams the internet looking for sites of interest to fans of Austen. Here are some of the gems she found:

Downton Abbey, Colin Firth's Success Fuels Austen Fever, Emma Thompson's Funny Acceptance of Golden Globe for Best Screenplay for S&S, and Regency Artist, Thomas Rowlandson.

Julia is also on the alert for news about our favorite Mr. Darcys, Matthew Madfadyen and Colin Firth. If you are a member of Facebook and a fan of Austen, you will want to check it out.

Vic at Jane Austen's World has a post on servant's quarters in Edwardian England as featured in Downton Abbey.

My thanks to Janet R at A Happy Assembly for finding The International Dialects of English Archive. There is an incredible range of accents in England alone, and for those of us who are not able to hear them in person, this is an excellent resource. They run from upper-crust public school accents to London cockney. I spent more than an hour listening to them before my laundry buzzer went off.

Historical Hussies has an explanation for England "Quarter Days." If you read Austen or Regency fiction, this will be a great resource for you.


Duchess of Devonshire's
Gossip Guide

Muse in the Fog is having a giveaway (through February 20) of The Princess of Nowhere, the story of Pauline, Napoleon's sister, who married Prince Borghese.

The Duchess of Devonshire's Gossip Guide has a recurring feature called "Yay or Nay" in which people get to judge whether a Georgian or Regency Era piece of fashion "works." This blogger finds the prettiest pictures for her readers to vote on, and her blog is loaded with fascinating details from these eras.

Colored video of London in 1927. I found this charming video of London in a time when horse-pulled carts shared the streets with handcart vendors and omni-buses--a lovely respite between the two world wars.

Those are just a few of things that caught my eye in the month of January. I'm sure you'll find some of them to be of interest.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Mary. Absolutely loved the colour film of London in the twenties. It is like time travel! My great-grandmother went back to Bolton England in 1929 (where she was born-in a workhouse no less!) so I was imagining that, even though she wasn't in London. Absolutely transfixing. You can see that I found another similar film on You Tube which led to my latest blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the color video too. Very fascinating the vehicles they drove in those day. I like that all the men were wearing suits and had ties on and most women still wore dresses. Go to Hyde Park to find cupid, he?
    Great information here Mary. Julia has some really great information she puts up on fb, she actually lives in the same town as my mother and MIL, where I lived for 5 years prior to marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wondered how you keep up with all these wonderful blogs, Mary. You've lead me to some fun sites, places I'll revisit to poke through their bits in depth. Now your secret is out, you're just like me, living your life between batches of laundry in the dryer. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many thanks for the mention of my giveaway! Have a delightful day :)

    ReplyDelete