Friday, December 3, 2010

Top Ten Holiday Favorite Movies - #7 and #8


To continue my list of holiday favorites, coming in at #7 and #8 are:

The HolidayThe Holiday – Synopsis from imdb.com: Two women troubled with guy-problems swap homes in each other's countries (US and UK), where they each meet a local guy and fall in love.

This is a new one on my list (bumping The Shop Around the Corner into #11), but I loved every actor in this movie: Kate Winslet and Jack Black and Cameron Diaz and Jude Law play the leads, with Eli Wallach, Edward Burns, Rufus Sewell, and two adorable child actors filling out the cast. The locations in LA and England are charming, especially Kate Winslet’s little cottage, that makes you want to curl up in front of your own fire. 4.5 out 5 Stars

White Christmas (Anniversary Edition)White Christmas Synopsis from imdb.com: After leaving the Army after WWII, Bob Wallace and Phil Davis team up to become a top song-and-dance act. Davis plays matchmaker and introduces Wallace to a pair of beautiful sisters (Betty and Judy) who also have a song-and-dance act. When Betty and Judy travel to a Vermont lodge to perform a Christmas show, Wallace and Davis follow, only to find their former commander, General Waverly, is the lodge owner. A series of romantic mix-ups ensue as the performers try to help the general save his lodge.

I confess I am not as enamored by this movie as most (including my sister Carole who decorates her tree every year while watching it). But I like the WWII backstory and Vera Ellen and her dance partner perform an incredible routine that is reason enough to watch the movie. There is also Bing Crosby’s exceptional crooning that blends nicely with the vocals of Rosemary Clooney (George’s aunt). Besides, who wouldn’t want to stay in an inn in Vermont during the Christmas season, snow or no snow? 4 out of 5 Stars

Please feel free to comment or share your favorites. :)

6 comments:

  1. Hi Mary. Great idea posting your all time favourite Christmas films.

    I like all of them so far, except, White Christmas. Sorry, it's just such a cliché nowadays.
    I liked it when I was five.

    The Holiday was filmed in a Surrey village called Shere. I've sat drinking beer at the very tables that Cameron Diaz and Jude Law sat at in The White Horse pub.

    The cottage was based on cottages in the village but was specially built for the film in a field outside the village. It was demolished after the filming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love The Holiday! I watch it every time I'm flipping channels and find it on tv.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems that The Holiday has become a favorite of a lot of people.

    Tony, I watched the backstory on The Holiday that included building the cottage. It's too bad that they had to take it down b/c it is the quintessential English cottage in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, I love The Holiday! It's so sweet. I have it at home on DVD, good idea for tonight.:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Holiday is the only movie I've liked Jack Black in. He's usually so over the top, but he toned it down nicely.

    White Christmas may be kitschy, but it's a family favorite. My mom and I used to decorate the tree while watching it, and my dad mocked it. Ahh...family traditions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks as if The Holiday is a big hit in the Christmas movie genre. When I was growing up, the movie we watched faithfully was Miracle on 34th Street.

    ReplyDelete