Thursday, December 2, 2010

Beautiful Covers


Pemberley RanchMr. Darcy's SecretHave you noticed how beautiful the covers for Austen re-imaginings are? I am truly grateful for all the talented people in the Art Department at Sourcebooks who came up with my covers for Searching for Pemberley and The Perfect Bride for Mr. Darcy, and they have done an excellent job for other Sourcebooks authors. There are so many great covers to choose from, but here are a few of my favorites.

I love the sunlight streaming in on the book that Elizabeth Bennet is reading  on the cover on Jane Odiwe's Mr. Darcy's Secret, giving you the impression that you will be let in on whatever secret the master of Pemberley has. I also like her frilly dress. Very feminine.

The cover of Jack Caldwell's Pemberley Ranch lets you know that you are in for quite a ride. Caldwell has moved the story from Regency England to post Civil War Texas, Fort Worth specifically, and the story is full of varmints and cattle drives and two people who happen to fall in love. The back of the cover is as pretty as the front. So if you pick up this novel in the book store, be sure to check out the back jacket, or if you go to Amazon, click on "back cover" in the Search Inisde the Book feature.

Darcy and Fitzwilliam: A tale of a gentleman and an officerOne of the most intriguing covers is Darcy and Fitzwilliam: A Tale of a Gentleman and An Officer by Karen Wasylowki. It is the story of two cousins who have been life-long friends. "Then life gets complicated, with unrequited love and unresolved deeds from the past raising their ugly heads, and family difficulties threatening even the most steadfast friendship. Will these two strong personalities find a way to align, or will the vicissitudes of life and love tear them in different directions and destroy the family they have always worked together to protect?" (from Amazon) Look closely at the cover. Is Darcy walking away from his cousin or going in the other direction? I thought this was an exceptional cover, and I'm looking forward to reading the story.
What are your favorites? Old? New? Original? Republished? I would love to hear from you.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, my, wonderful covers! I especially like the cover for Pemberley Ranch. I just love the dress spread out in all its glory and as you said, you know you're in for an adventure.

    I love the cover for your upcoming book, The Perfect Bride for Mr Darcy. The white dress, to me, represents innocence and the red rose indicates the woman is about to EXPERIENCE things, especially love. It's like she's holding her future, her heart, her hopes in her hands and showing them to us. Brilliant. Or at least, that's how I see the cover. There is, of course, something very beautiful and delicate about the pose, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Irena, Glad you like the cover. At first I was disappointed b/c my character didn't have a head, but I have grown to love it. You explained it beautifully. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like headless people on covers! Heh. It sounds like I'm a mass murderer or something. But I also like to see people's backs on covers. It gives the reader room to imagine what the character looks like themselves.

    I also like the Pemberley Ranch cover concept, but as a horse person, I want to reach in, grab her heel, and put it down! That's horse riding safety rule 1. In that position, her foot could slip through the stirrup and she could be trapped. So when I look at that beautiful cover, all I see is a wreck waiting to happen.

    I know, I know, horse people are weird. Way too critical. I still think it's a nice cover though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer, Your cover has half a head. Mine has no head at all, but I have bought into the idea that this allows people to picture their own Elizabeth, including putting their own head on the body. Searching for Pemberley has the girl shot from the back. Ditto on the cover for my third novel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thinking of head vs. headless covers has cracked me up all day. I feel so sadistic. Do I like pictures of women with their whole head, half a head, or no head at all? It's just wrong! LOL

    My MIL was very upset by my cover at first because of the whole head issue, but she has come around too.

    Now, about this third novel...I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete