Wednesday, December 15, 2010

#2 The Muppet Christmas Carol


The Muppet Christmas CarolMy #2 favorite Christmas movie is The Muppet Christmas Carol starring Michael Caine. I thought Caine made a splendid Scrooge, and the muppets provided a perfect supporting case.

Favorite scenes: Opening shots: Michael Caine walking through London past all the good people he despises. He also passes a store called Micklewhite's. He was born Maurice Micklewhite in 1933.


When the muppet bookkeepers ask for additional coal for the office, Scrooge threatens them with the unemployment line, and then they all appear in tropical attire dancing to an Island Heatwave.

The ghosts of Christmas Past and Christmas Present. The first is a beautiful little girl spirit, and the second is an absentminded giant. "Come in and know me better."

The finale with all the muppets and Scrooge dining at Bob Cratchitt's house.

In an interview, Michael Caine said that the muppets became so life-like to him that he treated them as he would any other actor. Some critics say that this was a dud for Caine, but I disagree. I thought he was perfect for the role.

On the day I took my daughters to see this movie in 1992, I got into an accident when I hit another car coming out of the fog. Despite that, we had a great day, and we watch it every year.

3 comments:

  1. Mary, an accident in the fog!!!! Sounds like Dickensian London. Hope you were OK.

    A Christmas Carol is a fantastic story. However, I would much rather read it than watch it.

    All the best,
    Tony

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this adaption! I have been showing it some of my music classes this past week as a rard for their good concert!!

    My favorite character is Rizzo the rat! I love Gonzo the blue furry Charles Dickens too.

    The Muppets are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meredith, What a treat for your students!

    Tony, I was living in Maryland where we often had fog. But this guy didn't have his lights on. Since I hit him, I was charged with the accident. Sour grapes here!

    ReplyDelete