Friday, December 17, 2010

#1 Favorite Christmas Movie


While You Were Sleeping#1 Christmas movie favorite: While You Were Sleeping. Summary from Wikipedia: Lucy Moderatz (Bullock) is a lonely fare collector on the Chicago elevated railway who has a secret crush on a handsome commuter named Peter Callaghan (Gallagher). On Christmas day, Lucy rescues Peter from an oncoming train after two muggers push him onto the tracks. Peter falls into a coma, and Lucy accompanies him to the hospital, where a nurse overhears her fantasizing aloud, "I was going to marry him." Misinterpreting her, the nurse tells Peter's family that Lucy is his fiancée, which makes Peter's family happy. At first, Lucy is too caught up in the panic to explain the truth, and afterward she is too embarrassed and afraid to hurt their feelings. With no family and few friends, Lucy becomes so captivated with the quirky Callaghans and their unconditional love for her that she cannot bring herself to hurt them by revealing that Peter doesn't even know her.

I love this movie. I saw it three times while it was in the theater and at least twice a year since its release on DVD. Sandra Bullock, a favorite of mine, and Bill Pullman, another favorite, are perfect together as Lucy Moderatz and Jack Callaghan, both displaying a talent for romantic comedy. But even better than this charming couple is the supporting cast, most especially Michael Rispoli as Joe Fusco, Jr., the deadbeat guido who wants to date Lucy and who impresses her by showing her his butt crack. There are also Ed Boyle and Micole Mercurio as Jack'sparents, Glynis Johns as Jack's grandmother, and Jack Warden as their Jewish neighbor, all of whom give stellar performances.

One of my criteria for making the top ten is that the movie must have memorable quotes, and this one is chock full of them. Several of them come from a dinner scene where everyone is talking over each other while Lucy and Jack watch the show. It is typical of any large family, and this is why it resonates so well with me. Another plus is that it is aging nicely. No crazy hairdos or clothes to distract, and it is filmed in LaGrange, a suburb of Chicago, where Home Alone was also filmed, and that provides the perfect setting for the story. If you haven't already seen it, invest in the DVD. You won't be disappointed.

7 comments:

  1. Aw, you area true romantic by heart, I like that. This is a great movie. My very favourite one is Home Alone, but While You Were Sleeping would definitely make my list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review, Mary. Again another film that didn't make it across the oceans. It's either I live in such a cocooned world, just plain can't see things in front of my eyes, or, really it just hasn't got here. I've never heard of it. Usually there are enough advertising hoardings about the place illustrating films. I can't have not noticed it surely, if it was here.

    Tony

    PS Have a great weekend. The heavy snow has returned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love While You Were Sleeping! I am going to have to watch that tonight. Bill Pullman is just sweet in this movie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this movie. It has a great love story and comedy. You can not beat that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You all have excellent tastes in movies.

    Tony, YOu need to rent this movie! Guaranteed smile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww! Nature of claim: Christmas tree through window. I used to love this movie, but had forgot all about it until I read your post. Thanks for the reminder, I'll have to try and find out if the dvd is available in Finland! Merry Chistmas:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't seen this one in ages, but must either rent or buy. May want to purchase this as it is so good. I love Sandra Bullock (especially since she traded men in her life).

    ReplyDelete