Monday, November 29, 2010

How Well Read Are You?

The BBC contends that most people will have read only six books from their list of 100. Do you agree? I got the list from Irena at This Miss Loves to Read. (It is meant to be posted on Facebook.)

Instructions:
•Copy this list.
•Bold those books you’ve read in their entirety.
•Italicize the ones you started but didn’t finish or read only an excerpt.
•Tag other book nerds.
•Highlight the ones that you have but haven't read.

Pride and Prejudice – Jane Austen (In my top five greatest books)
The Lord of the Rings – JRR Tolkien (I don't read fantasy.)
Jane Eyre – Charlotte Bronte
Harry Potter series – JK Rowling
To Kill a Mockingbird – Harper Lee (In my top five of greatest books)
The King James Bible
Wuthering Heights – Emily Bronte
Nineteen Eighty Four (1984) – George Orwell
His Dark Materials – Philip Pullman (Never heard of it. Should I be embarrassed by that admission?)
Great Expectations – Charles Dickens (I have read every one of Dickens' completed novels.)

Little Women – Louisa M Alcott
Tess of the D’Urbervilles – Thomas Hardy (Depressing)
Catch 22 – Joseph Heller
Complete Works of Shakespeare
Rebecca – Daphne Du Maurier
The Hobbit – JRR Tolkien
Birdsong – Sebastian Faulk (I've read others of Faulks' novels.)
Catcher in the Rye – JD Salinger (His genius is lost on me.)
The Time Traveler’s Wife – Audrey Niffenegger (Gave up 1/3rd of the way through.)
Middlemarch – George Eliot (Read everything to do with Dorothea and Will Ladislaw.)
Gone With The Wind – Margaret Mitchell
The Great Gatsby – F. Scott Fitzgerald (Assigned reading)
War and Peace – Leo Tolstoy (I tried twice.)
The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy – Douglas Adams (Never heard of it)
Brideshead Revisited – Evelyn Waugh (I found it depressing and gave up.)
Crime and Punishment – Fyodor Dostoyevsky (Ugh!)
Grapes of Wrath – John Steinbeck (Assigned reading)
Alice in Wonderland – Lewis Carroll
The Wind in the Willows – Kenneth Grahame
Anna Karenina – Leo Tolstoy (Russian authors and I don't get along.)
David Copperfield – Charles Dickens (In my top five books)
Chronicles of Narnia – CS Lewis
Emma -Jane Austen
Persuasion – Jane Austen (Tied with P&P as my all time favorite.)
The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe – CS Lewis
The Kite Runner – Khaled Hosseini
Captain Corelli’s Mandolin – Louis De Bernieres
Memoirs of a Geisha – Arthur Golden
Winnie the Pooh – A.A. Milne
Animal Farm – George Orwell (Assigned reading but I loved it anyway.)
The DaVinci Code – Dan Brown
One Hundred Years of Solitude – Gabriel Garcia Marquez
A Prayer for Owen Meaney – John Irving (Why not The World According to Garp?)
The Woman in White – Wilkie Collins (I read The Moonstone.)
Anne of Green Gables – LM Montgomery
Far From The Madding Crowd – Thomas Hardy (Clawed my way to the end.)
The Handmaid’s Tale – Margaret Atwood
Lord of the Flies – William Golding (Assigned reading)
Atonement – Ian McEwan
Life of Pi – Yann Martel
Dune – Frank Herbert
Cold Comfort Farm – Stella Gibbons
Sense and Sensibility – Jane Austen
A Suitable Boy – Vikram Seth
The Shadow of the Wind – Carlos Ruiz Zafon (Didn't like his style.)
A Tale Of Two Cities – Charles Dickens
Brave New World – Aldous Huxley
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time – Mark Haddon (Never head of it.)
Love In The Time Of Cholera – Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Of Mice and Men – John Steinbeck (Assigned reading)
Lolita – Vladimir Nabokov
The Secret History – Donna Tartt
The Lovely Bones – Alice Sebold
Count of Monte Cristo – Alexandre Dumas (Too verbose for my modern tastes)
On The Road – Jack Kerouac
Jude the Obscure – Thomas Hardy (Ugh!)
Bridget Jones’s Diary – Helen Fielding
Midnight’s Children – Salman Rushdie
Moby Dick – Herman Melville
Oliver Twist – Charles Dickens
Dracula – Bram Stoker
The Secret Garden – Frances Hodgson Burnett
Notes From A Small Island – Bill Bryson
Ulysses – James Joyce (Double ugh!)
The Inferno – Dante
Swallows and Amazons – Arthur Ransome
Germinal – Emile Zola
Vanity Fair – William Makepeace Thackeray
Possession – AS Byatt (Never heard of it.)
Christmas Carol – Charles Dickens
Cloud Atlas – David Mitchell
The Color Purple – Alice Walker
The Remains of the Day – Kazuo Ishiguro
Madame Bovary – Gustave Flaubert
A Fine Balance – Rohinton Mistry
Charlotte’s Web – E.B. White
The Five People You Meet In Heaven – Mitch Albom
Adventures of Sherlock Holmes – Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
The Faraway Tree Collection – Enid Blyton
Heart of Darkness – Joseph Conrad (Assigned reading, but I liked it.)
The Little Prince – Antoine De Saint-Exupery
The Wasp Factory – Iain Banks
Watership Down – Richard Adams
A Confederacy of Dunces – John Kennedy Toole (Hated this book, but my book club made me read it.)
A Town Like Alice – Nevil Shute
The Three Musketeers – Alexandre Dumas
Hamlet – William Shakespeare (Assigned reading)
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory – Roald Dahl
Les Miserables – Victor Hugo (I tried, but I couldn't do it.)

Where is Lonesome Dove? The Jungle? Random Harvest? The Red Badge of Courage? All's Quiet on the Western Front? Uncle Tom's CabinThe English Patient? Did the list skip any of your favorites? Let me know.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, you've read almost half of the books on the list! I think there could be as many such lists as there are people who make them. The list left out quite a few books that I consider to be good, like The Picture of Dorian Gray, The Phantom of the Opera, Interview with a Vampire, The Scarlet Letter etc.

    P.S. I intend to read the final chapters of Angel of Mercy today! I'm sorry I haven't yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read 41 of them and bits of quite a few others.

    The Hitchhikers Guide To The galaxy is a great English comedy about life, and the universe.It is It was written as a book, became a radio series, then was made into a Tv series back in the 60's early 70's. It gives you the answer to life. Apparently its 42.Arthur Dent is the leading character. Note his initials. Oh yes a very funny read. It takes 7 and half million years using a super computer to come to that conclusion and many adventures and incredible characters along the way.

    A must read, or not, as the case may be.

    Tony

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lorena, Did you like the Scarlett Letter? I didn't think it would ever end?

    Tony, I don't think I will be reading The Hitchhiker's Guide. Doesn't sound like me at all.

    One of the reasons I have read so many of the classics is because when my husband was serving in the Army for a year in Korea, I didn't have anything else to do, so I decided to improve my mind by reading the world's 100 Greatest Classics (according to the company who was selling them).

    ReplyDelete