Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Name the Dandy in the Lawrence Portrait - Take My Poll - Please

This is Thomas Lawrence's portrait of Charles William Bell , circa 1798. He is dressed to the nines in his luxurious jacket and elaborate neckcloth-- definitely a gentleman to the manor born. I love the cockscomb hairstyle, but then he really does look like the cock of the walk. Mr. Bell would certainly feel right at home in one of Jane Austen’s novels, but what part would he play? Darcy, Knightley, Willoughby? Although Mr. Bell is nothing like I have imagined Edward Ferrars to be, I'm throwing him and almost everyone else into the mix. Take my poll and we shall find out what you think. You may choose as many as you like. I encourage you to leave comments as to why you chose a particular gentleman.

5 comments:

  1. I'll be honest: I chose Frank Churchill. Frank went all the way to London to have his hair cut. It says it all.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Mary,
    I thought I'd stop and say hello!
    I love this portrait, and I think he looks aloof enough to make my idea of Mr Darcy.

    You've got a lovely blog, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Head tilted to his left, chin raised , eyebrows arched and that dark luxurious crop of hair , slightly ruffled, wavy, a loose lock or two across his pale skinned forehead, a white silk cravat encasing his throat , a soft black velvet coat around his broad strong shoulders; this man is..........
    His thoughts; "look at me! look at me! ah,(sigh!),I'm perfect."

    Who is he? He's a god. He's the epitomy of class, taste, breeding, a true sensual confection.

    WHAT A PRAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary, I voted Henry Crawford. He's sophisticated and I always thought of him as a dandy. Vic

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Irena about Frank Churchill, so he could definitely be that guy. Henry Crawford, Willoughby and Frederick Tilney also work. If the hair wasn't so long, I could go for Mr. Darcy. I can just picture this guy in the portrait singing "I fell pretty, oh so pretty. I feel pretty and witty and gay." Thanks, guys.

    ReplyDelete