Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Monsoon Season Has Arrived in Arizona

Most of the year, the humidity in Arizona is very low. For example, a few weeks ago, it was 11%. Compare that to Houston or New Orleans, where you can ring the water out of the air with your bare hands. But come July, everything changes. The winds shift from west to east to east to west, and with the change, comes humidity and the hope of rain. From now through mid September, Zonies will experience temperatures anywhere from 105 degrees to 119 degrees. (That is the hottest for me.) Storms pop up quickly and are occasionally preceded by a sandstorm called a haboob in which Mother Nature picks up a goodly portion of the desert and moves it somewhere else. Storms are usually of short duration, but they can be violent with high winds, hail, and lots of thunder and lightning. Here in the Sonoran Desert, we rely on the monsoon season to fill our reservoirs so that people may have green lawns and golf courses, but it makes me cranky. It is hot and sticky, and your clothes cling to you. And I am way past the point of where clinging clothes is a good thing.

8 comments:

  1. Oh oh I hope it's not too bad weather after all.

    Really Angelic

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so scary! But then again, storms scare me, something I'm not really proud of, but there you go.;)
    I hope the weather won't be too bad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gulf Coast Florida in the summer feels like you are wearing a extra pair of clothes - that are wet -- pretty much all the time, so I understand the humidity thing...at least it only lasts a brief time for you --- it's our way of life, but we endure because it's where we live :)

    Take care
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  4. For most of the year, weather in Arizona is boring at least in the Phoenix metro area. But during monsoon, anything can happen, and I love watching a good storm. Flagstaff had mud slides yesterday in an area that was burned two months ago in a pretty good fire. JJ, I know what you mean. I lived in New Jersey, Maryland, and Texas, but after living in such a dry climate for 14 years, when I go to a place with a humid environment, it's like a punch in the face.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heat, sandstorms, high humidity. Sounds dreadful, Mary. From one who is used to a land of almost permanent greyness, dampness and lowish temperatures.

    But water is important.

    Can't do without it really. It's how we get it that can be dramatic.

    Tony

    ReplyDelete
  6. as a fellow az resident this humidity is killer. but i love the summer dust storms, everything is pink! and the lightning makes my plants green instead of brown (after all it is a truth universally acknowledged that plants are brown in the desert not green)! the year my sister graduated from high school a summer dust storm blew across the field during the ceremony and everyone ate sand. oh arizona!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's nothing like a haboob to have you stand in awe of nature. When I lived in Dallas, we would get sand storms, and people would say "West Texas is on the way."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Home sweet home! As much as I complain about the heat, I'd rather live here than almost any place else. After last week in Texas, I was more than happy to return to the "dry heat" of Arizona.

    ReplyDelete