Thursday, June 10, 2010

This Day in History

1770 – Captain James Cook runs aground on the Great Barrier Reef. If one has to run aground anywhere, I think this is a good place to do it. This is on my must-see list of places to visit.

1829 – The first Boat Race between the University of Oxford and the University of Cambridge takes place. I'm sure this will be of interest to Tony and probably no one else, but what the hey, I aim to please each and every one of my readers.

Birthdays:

1895 – Hattie McDaniel, American actress (d. 1952) - Oscar winner for her performance as Mammy in Gone With the Wind. For me, she nearly stole the movie away from Vivien Leigh and Clark Gable--nearly.

1921 – Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, consort of Queen Elizabeth II.

1922 – Judy Garland, American musical actress (d. 1969) - For me, Judy will live forever. I'm now watching The Wizard of Oz with my granddaughter.

3 comments:

  1. Oh thanks mary.
    Yes the boat race. It goes between Putney Bridge and Chiswick.
    Usually the first weekend of April I think.
    It's worth watching. Even Hollywood have made a film about it. I can't remember which year they focussed on.
    It's one of those things like racing cars. You think what is the purpose but a lot of sports science, human endurance studies, boat design development, structiural materials and sports clothing etc has been developed because of the boat race.So, It's worthwhile in many aspects. It's actually a bloody good race too. Everybody in the UK takes sides, even though 99.9% of us haven't been to Oxford or Cambridge Universities.

    All the best,
    Tony

    ReplyDelete
  2. A thought, Mary. Where do you dig up all these historical facts?

    I love them by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the additional info on the boat race. I was quite confident that you would have it. I guess it's the same as me watching the Celtics and Lakers play for the NBA title. I have no vested interest in it, but it's something to see the best go up against each other.

    ReplyDelete