Monday, June 28, 2010

I Didn't Know That

One of the joys of research is finding historical nuggets that make you say, "I didn't know that!" And because I am doing a lot of research for a new novel, I thought I would share some of my "I didn't know that" moments. For example (in America), between 1800 and 1855, the number of yards of material need to make a lady's dress increased from 5 to 20, while the yardage required for her underclothes jumped from 7-1/2 to 63. Sixty-three yards of material for underclothes! I understand that the Gone With the Wind type gowns had crinolines and pantaloons and corsets, etc., but 63 yards! Since I don't sew, that seems like an awful lot of material to me. You would be a one-woman fabric store. Perhaps, one of my readers can explain. (Source: The Hudson, by Tom Lewis)

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I didn't know that either! Thanks for sharing! I love to learn such interesting tidbits.

    ReplyDelete