Thursday, April 8, 2010

Austen Quips

Some of you may have read these quips before. At one time, I was posting them on Twitter, but having to put up a daily quip was frying my brain, so I stopped. But since I am writing one book and editing two others, I won't be posting a story (no matter how short) for a while. So this is my way of saying thanks to everyone for visiting my blog, and I'll post a few witticisms every couple of days. And so it begins.

*Northanger Abbey: Catherine Morland takes out a restraining order against John Thorpe, citing stalking and creepiness.

*P&P: When Jane Bennet learns of Caroline Bingley's role in separating her from Mr. Bingley, she thinks about getting angry, but, instead, opts for peeved.

After reading them, if you laughed, guffawed, chuckled, smiled or even if the corners of your mouth turned up ever so slightly, I would appreciate hearing from you. I'm sitting her all alone in my atelier at my writing desk, quill in hand, ink-stained fingers hovering over the foolscap, cold hands encased in fingertipless (not sure that's a word) gloves, and I would love to hear from you. I hope I don't appear to be too desperate. Thanks.

3 comments:

  1. ".....she thinks about getting angry, but, instead, opts for peeved."

    Peeved, well it's a great example of the English ability to understate.

    Let me set the scene for you Mary. An English officer on the battlefield of Waterloo, his left arm blown off, a deep sabre cut across his forehead, a broken off lance sticking out of his abdomen, his right leg a mangled broken mess of splintered bone, severed arteries pumping his life blood out into the mud, might express his last words in a slightly ,peeved, voice.
    You've got to be aware of the power of understatement here, Mary.It's more powerful than yelling and screaming. Try it yourself the next time a driver rams you from behind at an intersection. Intersection, is that the right word? We call them cross roads here.

    Fingerless gloves, that's very Victorian.Quill, that takes you back to early Victorian times or even William IV. Ah!! I've got it. You are writing another Jane Austen related story.

    Enjoy the experience. All the best,
    Tony

    ReplyDelete
  2. This to me is an example of extreme understatement:

    One of the last cannon shots fired on 18 June 1815 hit Lord Uxbridge's right leg, necessitating its amputation above the knee. According to anecdote, he was close to the Duke of Wellington when his leg was hit, and exclaimed, "By God, sir, I've lost my leg!" — to which Wellington replied, "By God, sir, so you have!"

    I love British understatement which, coupled with a uninhibited use of earthy Anglo-Saxon words, makes for a delightful conversation.

    Yes, I am writing another Austen story, but all my stories (except one) are Austen related.

    Thanks, Tony. I love your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I smiled AND chuckled. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete